Saturday, April 4, 2009

Your Nose Knows




When I spritz perfume on my body I have an instant reaction to its scent and for a split second it transports me back to a particular time and place in my life.  My favorite scents all evoke memories that are my happiest and most meaningful, whether it be the first date with my husband or having the most amazing roll on the floor and pee your pants laugh with my sister or when my young son hugs me tight and says that he likes the way my skin smells.

Come to think of it, I don't own any perfumes that give me even a subtle feeling of sadness or give me headaches or that I used to wear when I was with an ex-boyfriend who happen to break my heart.  Even if the bottle is full of product and looks so pretty on a vanity, I have no problems giving it away or throwing it out. If it doesn't make me feel like a million bucks its gone. This is not to say that I don't hold on to things that I shouldn't because trust me I do but, I'm definitely not a perfume hoarder.  I don't have many perfumes only about six or seven bottles but I keep going back to the same ones.  For me, its all about the scent and the memory that come with the initial spritz of nectar.

My favorite perfumes that I never get tired of are Agent Provocateur which stir feelings of sexual curiosity just like its lingerie ads do and give me the confidence of a rich older lady. Prada Milano reminds me of romatic moped rides with my husband and drinking Campari and soda in the piazzas of Italy, specifically near the Spanish Steps in beautiful and haunting city of Roma. Stella perfume and Stella in Two, both by Stella McCartney (the second one might be discontinued) remind me of playing in the park with my children and then having a picnic as we watched the swans float by on the pond. Lastly, is the perfume Island Living by India Hicks which reminds be of being in Barbados which is a place I most want to be and eat fly fish and have a beer or a rum punch with a pinch of cinnamon, sitting with the locals and feeling that caribbean heat on your shoulders.

For me its all about the scent which opens the treasure chest of all things beautiful in my past and my present.

What are your favorite perfumes and why? I've never tried a tag but this sounds like it would be fun so, tag you're it!

12 comments:

Anna Saccone said...

Beautifully written blog post Nadia!! You really managed to suck me into all those scents you described! I love it! I might do this tag, but I'm even more selective than you, I only own ONE perfume at the moment, so it might be a little boring! :) I love how all these scents remind you of totally different memories and scenarios. Beautiful! xoxo Anna

LoveLipstickandLime said...

@ Anna....Thank you! Please tell us your one and only perfume and why you like it, I'm curious. xoxo N

Tim said...

Hey there first time reader here. Love your blog. Im a guy so Im not really into fashion, but I need the info in shopping for my wife so its all good for me.

Please feel free to stop by and visit us at Fort Thompson anytime you like, you are always welcome.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Liz said...

Gucci envy
brings back memories of finding someone new...
Me
after having the kids 11 years ago I started goin to the gym with my niece to have some time for myself and to partly escape from my failing marriage. We used to pop into the pub afterwards and have a drink. Lots of girly chat and laughing and eyeing up boys.
It brings me back to a time I started taking care of myself again and found the me that I used to be before my ex husband made me feel like nothing.
It was the first kind of expensive perfume I had bought myself partly due to my niece getting me the body lotion.
I still wear it now but with someone new who gets me. I now have alot more perfumes with a hell of alot of happy memories.

LoveLipstickandLime said...

I understand your experience completely. Thanks for sharing my sweets! xox N

Sweet Spectre said...

I have Agent Provocateur's Maitresse and I love it. It's my all time favorite.

I have another one by them too, but it didn't capture me quite as much.

LoveLipstickandLime said...

@ Mermaid,
Hi, thanks for subscribing! I love Agent Provocateur, I'm glad someone else feels the same way. I want everything they sell....Nadia

Sonya said...

My favorite perfume is Giorgio Armani - Mania for her. It's just been a long time favorite of mine since high school, and it reminds me of innocent times.

It is so true what you said about fragrances, and how our scent triggers receptors in our brain that evoke certain memories. I actually just read about it in my Consumer Behavior book. How ironic!

LoveLipstickandLime said...

@Sonya,
I have a bottle of Mania it reminds me of my girlfriend who flies with me and we got close doing our pregnancy special assignment together in the offices since we did not want to fly while pregnant. She is a part-time model and just loved this perfume. xxNadia

Becky C. said...

Thanks for following my blog! ♥

My favourite two perfumes at the moment are Promesse by Cacharel and Keep It Fluffy by B Never To Busy To Be Beautiful. Both are pretty, subtle and girly without being too overpowering. I've been looking for new fragrances recently, but haven't been too successful!

LoveLipstickandLime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoveLipstickandLime said...

@Superbeckyy,
I never heard of these two perfumes, next time I'm in a fragrance boutique I'm going to ask for a smell. xxx Nadia

Post a Comment